Flin Flon Tailings Impoundment System
CLIENT: HudBay Minerals Inc.
LOCATION: Flin Flon, Manitoba, Canada
Mining activities began in the Flin Flon, Manitoba area in central Canada in the 1910’s. As part of their mining operations, Hudson Bay Mining and Smelting Co. Ltd (Hudbay) has been depositing tailings into the Flin Flon Tailings Impoundment System since 1929. The facility currently contains over 95 million tonnes of solids produced by the mill.
BGC has been providing geotechnical consulting services to Hudbay related to the Flin Flon Tailings Impoundment System since 1995. Services provided by BGC have included:
- Dam safety inspections
- Remediation design of historic tailings structures
- Feasibility assessment, design and construction monitoring of new water retention dams
- Feasibility assessment, design and construction monitoring of a structural concrete spillway as part of the tailings storage facility expansion
- Design of annual raises to existing tailings fill dams
- Quality assurance services during construction
- Development of tailings deposition plans for the life of mine
- Installation and monitoring of instrumentation used to assess dam performance during construction and operations