Intermediate UX/UI Designer
BGC Engineering Inc. (BGC) is an international consulting firm that provides professional services in applied earth sciences. We work together as one team, with coordination and integration of all offices and disciplines. We are the recipient of the 2019 UBC Science Co-op Employer Recognition Award and a finalist for the 2020 BC Technology Impact Award for Excellence in Technology Adoption. Currently there are over 550 employees, consisting of professional engineers, geoscientists, technicians, software developers, administrators, accountants, health & safety and human resources professionals. BGC has offices in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, as well as Colorado, US and Santiago, Chile.
Our flat management structure and unique culture create a work environment where employees can grow professionally, work with fantastic teams and enjoy perks such as company-wide clubs and mentoring opportunities.
Software Development at BGC
The successful applicant will be a part of BGC's software development team working alongside world class engineers and geoscientists to develop safety critical software applications. They will apply their UX design knowledge to guide the team to build intuitive applications that monitor potential geohazards and risks in real-time. The candidate will have the opportunity to conquer unique challenges maintaining consistency across components and across applications.
To learn more about the software development team at BGC, click here: http://www.bgcengineering.ca/software.
About the Role
- Help develop and maintain BGC’s Design System using Figma, InVision, or a similar tool
- Create scalable, cutting edge and flexible global design guidelines to maintain clean and consistent user interfaces across products as we grow
- Create user scenarios, user journey, wireframes, UI designs and prototypes throughout the full cycle of the product development process
- Create new designs, including (but not limited to) user flows, wireframes, mock-ups, and interactive prototypes
- Translate task flows, usage requirements, and usability results into simplified UI designs of varying fidelity–largely focused on production-ready design
- Acquire deep understanding of our internal and external users by conducting user research
- Use quantitative data, user research, and qualitative feedback to inform design decisions
- Work with cross functional product teams to ensure proper implementation of the product vision, focusing always on simplicity and ease of use
- You are fluent in the latest cross-platform product design trends, tools and technologies
- You are a generalist who can drive the design process end-to-end
- You are detail-oriented while being able to see the big picture
- You work great on a team and are able to collaborate with engineers and product managers, and work cross-functionally to deliver user experiences that excite customers
- You love a fast-paced environment, embrace change, and have a bias for action
- You have a passion for getting things right for your customers
- You have expert understanding of UI / UX design methodology, principles, and practices with demonstrated UI and interaction design capabilities and skills backed by a solid portfolio
- You have the ability to simplify highly complex software requirements and communicate with annotated, production-ready mockups (software product dev background preferred)
Required Education, Experience & Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in Human-Computer Interaction & Design, UX/UI Design, Information Studies, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years as a UX Designer, creating excellent interfaces that enhance user experiences for the customer.
- A strong portfolio or samples of work showcasing the problem-solving skill and high design caliber (Applicants must provide a link to their portfolio or work samples in their resume or cover letter, in order to be considered for this role.)
- Experience designing and shipping products for mobile and desktop
- Ability to work under minimal supervision
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment
- Experience with Design Systems (Invision or Figma)
- Solid understanding of technical requirements and limitations
- Exceptional communication skills and have the ability to work closely and effectively with Product Owners, Developers, and QA
- Knowledge of HTML and CSS is an asset
BGC offers a wide range of benefits and perks:
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Flexible hours
- Parental leave top-up's
- Social activities
- Professional development opportunities
- Mentoring opportunities
- Flat management structure
- Ability to work with fantastic teams and industry leaders
- Casual and professional work environment
BGC is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
If you are qualified and interested in a career with BGC, please send your resume and a cover letter with subject line referencing Job ID 5321 in confidence to email@example.com.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the HR Team at 604-684-5900.