SOLVING THE MOST CHALLENGING EARTH SCIENCE & GEO-ENGINEERING PROBLEMS FACING THE PIPELINE INDUSTRY
The design, construction and operation of pipelines requires innovative strategies and sound management practices for successful implementation.
BGC’s experts provide a range of geotechnical, hydrotechnical and geohazard management services to the pipeline industry. We have an in-depth knowledge of pipeline regulatory requirements and a specialized appreciation for the impacts of geology and hydrology on engineered structures. We deliver innovative solutions for all stages of pipeline projects, from routing and feasibility assessments to design, construction and pipeline operations.
Geohazards Management Programs
Our goal by 2025 is a 10% reduction of the global risk of pipeline incidents and failures caused by geohazards from 2015 levels. In order to achieve this, BGC is dedicated to helping our clients effectively identify, evaluate and mitigate geohazards on projects worldwide by leveraging our expert knowledge of terrain hazard and risk assessment.
BGC designs and implements hydrotechnical and geotechnical hazard management programs to identify and efficiently manage hazards resulting from ground movement and river erosion. The programs are executed using our geohazard risk management software, Cambio, which utilizes a framework to quantify site-specific probabilities of pipeline failure from geohazards.
Like corrosion programs, these geohazard management programs prioritize sites for further inspection, monitoring and mitigation and are defensible and systematic. Cambio provides near real-time flood, precipitation and seismic monitoring so that operators can quickly respond to changing conditions. Our geohazard management programs are currently active on over 350,000 km of operating and discontinued pipeline in North and South America. On pipelines where the full geohazard lifecycle has been applied (from inventory through to assessment and management), BGC has measured a five-fold reduction in pipeline failures caused by geohazards compared to the average North American failure rate.
Routing & Terrain Characterization
BGC is an industry leader in pipeline routing services. We integrate our pipeline expertise with our comprehensive range of engineering and applied geoscience services to deliver essential services for pipeline routing and FEED (front-end engineering and design) projects. We develop technical solutions for protecting environmentally sensitive areas and identify and propose measures to avoid potential risks to pipeline safety.
At the core of our pipeline services is specialized terrain characterization and terrain stability mapping for building geohazard inventories that support optimal route selection and environmental permitting. We also conduct geotechnical site and geohazard characterization for foundation designs and infrastructure development assistance. Other BGC routing services include:
- Watercourse characterization for trenched, trenchless and aerial crossings
- Seismic hazard assessments for liquefaction, lateral spreading and fault crossings
- Organic soil delineation and characterization for buoyancy control
- Permafrost delineation and characterization
- Development of geotechnical soils spring parameters
- Bedrock characterization for evaluation of ease of excavation and acid rock drainage potential
- Watercourse crossing design
- Field support for pipeline construction
By providing prefeasibility and feasibility assessments, as well as basic and detailed engineering, BGC’s pipeline experts become an integral part of our clients’ team and a key element of successful pipeline construction.
BGC is recognized around the globe for providing industry-leading geotechnical designs and services. For pipeline projects, we combine our geotechnical expertise with a strong understanding of geology, geohazards and pipeline practices to provide the following:
- Landslide and deformation assessments and slope stabilization designs
- Data-driven terrain stability assessments
- Rock fall and debris flow barrier design
- Site grading specifications and design
- Design of erosion control measures
- Feasibility assessments for HDD (horizontal directional drilling) and the full range of other trenchless technologies
- Shallow, deep, and anchored foundation designs
- Geotechnical instrumentation and monitoring
- Remote monitoring
BGC also provides design, construction support and operations services specific to hydrotechnical issues that can impact pipelines. Our watercourse characterization and design services include:
- Flood frequency analysis
- Scour analyses
- Lateral migration (bank erosion and avulsion) analyses
- Watercourse crossing design, including channel stabilization designs