Intermediate to Senior Geotechnical Engineer (Western Canada)
BGC Engineering Inc. (BGC) is an international consulting firm that provides professional services in applied earth sciences. We work together as one team, with coordination and integration of all offices and disciplines. Currently there are over 450 employees, consisting of professional engineers, geoscientists, technicians, software developers, administrators, accountants, health & safety and human resources professionals. BGC has offices in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, as well as Colorado, US and Santiago, Chile.
Our flat management structure and unique culture create a work environment where employees can grow professionally, work with fantastic teams and enjoy perks such as company-wide clubs and mentoring opportunities.
BGC is seeking an intermediate to senior level Geotechnical Engineer with a fundamental understanding and interest in soil mechanics, deep and shallow foundations, ground anchors, retaining walls, shoring, roadways, railways and related construction services to join our team. The suitable candidate should have the ability to work in multi-disciplined project teams across BGC’s various business sectors including transportation, mining or pipeline infrastructure.
- Act as a project engineer coordinating and carrying out geotechnical investigations, geotechnical design, or construction monitoring (CQA) for slope stabilization, foundation, and earth retention projects.
- Participate in proposal writing and identifying new opportunities
- Potentially manage projects, including proposals, budgets, and schedules
- Train and mentor junior professional staff in the field and office
- Field rotations (2 – 3 weeks) and/or site visits will be required
Required Education, Experience & Competencies
- Bachelor of Engineering or Applied Science; civil or geological engineering with geotechnical focus
- 4+ years of post-graduate experience in geotechnical engineering
- Experience with field investigation techniques such as soil logging, SPT, and CPT
- Registered or eligible for registration as a Professional Engineer in Canada
- Valid driver’s license
- Strong understanding of soil mechanics, fundamental knowledge of geotechnical design, slope stability, groundwater, seepage and drainage
- Experience with design and construction of deep and shallow foundation design, such as spread footings, driven piles, drilled shafts, and micropiles
- Experience with earth retention, such as shoring, retaining walls and MSE walls.
Desired Education, Experience & Competencies
- A high level of proficiency with current geotechnical software applications, such as SLOPE/W, CPeT-IT, SETTLE3D, UNIPILE, LPILE AND GRLWEAP
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills
- Strong analytical and project management skills
- Relevant post-graduate degree in civil geotechnical engineering
- Prior experience in consulting engineering or construction
BGC’s Vancouver, Kamloops, Calgary, or Edmonton office is preferred as a home base; however, BGC has offices in various Canadian cities and in Golden, Colorado which may be considered for a qualified candidate.
BGC offers a wide range of benefits and perks:
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Flexible hours
- Maternity/Paternity leave top ups
- Social activities
- Professional development opportunities
- Mentoring opportunities
- Flat management structure
- Ability to work with fantastic teams and industry leaders
- Casual and professional work environment
BGC is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
If you are qualified and interested in a career with BGC, please send your resume and a cover letter in confidence to: email@example.com
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the HR Team at 604-684-5900.
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to diversity & inclusion. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.