BGC Engineering Inc. (BGC) is an international consulting firm that provides professional services in applied earth sciences. We work together as one team, with coordination and integration of all offices and disciplines. We are the recipient of the 2019 UBC Science Co-op Employer Recognition Award and a finalist for the 2020 BC Technology Impact Award for Excellence in Technology Adoption. Currently there are over 550 employees, consisting of professional engineers, geoscientists, technicians, software developers, administrators, accountants, health & safety and human resources professionals. BGC has offices in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, as well as Colorado, US and Santiago, Chile.
Our flat management structure and unique culture create a work environment where employees can grow professionally, work with fantastic teams and enjoy perks such as company-wide clubs and mentoring opportunities.
Software Development at BGC
The successful applicant will be a part of BGC's software development team working alongside world class engineers and geoscientists to develop safety critical software applications. Apply your DevOps knowledge to help the software team build, release, and maintain web and mobile applications that monitor potential geohazards and risks in real-time. The candidate will have the opportunity to conquer unique challenges with our highly available web applications that use state of the art geographical information system with cloud infrastructures.
To learn more about the software development team at BGC, click here: http://www.bgcengineering.ca/software.
About the Role
- You will get to work with a team that uses technologies including C#, .NET, Python, React, TypeScript, Xamarin, Azure, Azure Functions, MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL, Linux, Docker, Kubernetes, etc.
- Work with the developers and QA in a Scrum/Agile environment to build and maintain the release pipeline.
- Work with the developers and QA to reduce or eliminate downtime during releases.
- Own the health of BGC's servers and services by constructing dashboards to monitor and take proactive action to prevent downtime or failures.
- Work closely with IT to procure required licenses, minimize impact on software team on BGC-wide IT maintenance activities, etc.
- Design and operate the environments that will scale with BGC’s growth using technologies like Docker and Kubernetes.
- Assist in optimizing BGC's MS SQL Server databases.
- Help with BGC's continuing transition from on-prem servers to Azure.
- Mentor and train the developers and testers on DevOps standards and best practices.
- Collaborate with other members of the team to brainstorm the best ways to tackle complex technological infrastructure, security, or development problems.
- Stay curious. Work towards improving BGC's body of knowledge by researching and applying new technologies to BGC's applications.
- You love to be challenged and have the willingness and ability to adapt to rapid changes in order to support and use future technology.
- You work great on a team and are able to collaborate with engineers and product managers, and work cross-functionally to deliver user experiences that excite customers.
- You have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- You love to problem solve and have great troubleshooting skills.
- You love a fast-paced environment, embrace change, and have a bias for action.
- You are very process orientated and have great documentation skills.
- You have a knowledge of best practices and IT operations.
- Willingness and ability to adapt to rapid changes in order to support and use future technology.
Required Education, Experience & Competencies
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education and working experience.
- 3+ years of DevOps experience.
- Experience with Azure including: Azure DevOps (formerly VSTS), App Insights, Azure Functions, SQL Database.
- Experience with Linux and optionally Docker and Kubernetes.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision.
- Experience with databases (experience optimizing is an asset).
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment.
- Experience setting up monitoring tools and dashboards.
- Experience with source control using Git.
- Experience with infrastructure scripting solutions such as Python.
- Exceptional communications skills in English, both written and oral, and the ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
BGC offers a wide range of benefits and perks:
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Flexible hours
- Parental leave top-up's
- Social activities
- Professional development opportunities
- Mentoring opportunities
- Flat management structure
- Ability to work with fantastic teams and industry leaders
- Casual and professional work environment
BGC is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
If you are qualified and interested in a career with BGC, please send your resume and a cover letter with subject line referencing Job ID 5322 in confidence to email@example.com.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the HR Team at 604-684-5900.