BGC Engineering Inc. (BGC) is an international consulting firm that provides professional services in applied earth sciences. We work together as one team, with coordination and integration of all offices and disciplines. Currently there are over 450 employees, consisting of professional engineers, geoscientists, technicians, software developers, administrators, accountants, health & safety and human resources professionals. BGC has offices in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, as well as Colorado, US and Santiago, Chile.
Our flat management structure and unique culture create a work environment where employees can grow professionally, work with fantastic teams and enjoy perks such as lunch time yoga, company-wide clubs and mentoring opportunities.
BGC is looking for a Data Scientist with a deep understanding and experience in data engineering, data analysis, and statistical modeling, in the development of a real-time service in a fast-paced work environment. The Data Scientist will support the growing data needs across our company by utilizing data to inform and drive evidence-based decisions to solve complex earth science problems. While the focus for the Data Scientist is the creation of working software, the successful candidate will also have the ability to visualize data based on project needs.
- Validate and mine large datasets, as well as build predictive models and machine learning systems
- Ability to develop data pipelines with automated, machine-learning systems that convert large source datasets into actionable signals
- Utilize a variety of quantitative and qualitative methods to analyze diverse data sets, such as network analysis, systems analysis, geospatial modeling, narrative analysis, and survey analysis
- Identify relevant open data sets to strategically augment internal data and conduct internet research on targeted topics
- Develop our understanding of new data sources and how they may improve our existing processes
- Assist in managing, developing, and refining data collection tools and systems
- Guide the development of internal best practices for working and managing data
- Assist in data review and clean-up as needed
- Write internal and external reports for non-technical audiences explaining research findings and recommendations clearly and concisely
- 5+ years of academic and/or professional experience in data analytics, intelligence analysis, network analysis, geospatial analysis, social science research, or other analysis-related fields (e.g. Bachelor’s or Masters in Intelligence Studies, Data Analysis, Data Science, or equivalent)
- Experience working with software development teams to deliver working applications
- Comfort with a range of data analysis and visualization tools, such as Excel, MySQL, Python, R, Paxata, Palantir, Tableau, etc.
- Strong proficiency and comfort working with new and diverse technologies
- Demonstrated proficiency in conveying complex, technical ideas to a general audience through writing or presentations
- Demonstrated commitment to innovation and creative problem-solving
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills
- Ownership and initiative, natural self-starter; ability to fully own large areas of responsibility
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a strong focus on direct and open communication
- Experience working in or awareness of the field of applied earth science is an asset
BGC pays competitive salaries, provides a comprehensive benefits package, and maintains a casual but professional work environment. If you are qualified and interested in a career with BGC, please send your resume and a cover letter in confidence to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to diversity & inclusion. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.