BGC Engineering Inc. (BGC) is an international consulting firm that provides professional services in applied earth sciences. We work together as one team, with coordination and integration of all offices and disciplines. Currently there are over 600 employees, consisting of professional engineers, geoscientists, technicians, software developers, administrators, accountants, health & safety and human resources professionals. BGC has offices in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, as well as Colorado, US and Santiago, Chile.
Our flat management structure and unique culture create a work environment where employees can grow professionally, receive mentorship opportunities, work with fantastic teams and enjoy perks such as lunchtime yoga and companywide clubs.
BGC is seeking a Data Analyst who will work with our data science and software development teams to acquire, clean, organize, manage and interpret the large number of hydro, meteorological and geological datasets which we use to support our client projects. We are looking for someone who has passion for working with large earth science datasets and the unique challenges that they present.
- Deal with buckets of data, cleaning it up and making it usable/useful for production data pipelines
- Working with the data architect, the ML/DS team, the software team, and GIS team you will be involved with a variety of projects and a range of data sets
- Writing SQL queries to analyse data and make it available for data import and export
- May use Python or other scripting tools and languages to improve, clean, and streamline data and data pipelines
- Work with internal clients at BGC to apply data analysis techniques and visualization to support data driven decision making and extract hidden insights
- Produce data visualization on a range of data sources, including structured, unstructured, real-time and geospatial
- Provide data quality and perform data cleansing
- Provide support on creation and maintenance of data dictionaries and metadata
- Support user requests for data and reports from our various systems
- Perform research on best practices related to data analysis and data visualization
- Communicate with clients, stakeholders and colleagues
- Identify and deliver innovative solutions to difficult challenges
- Work with different project teams locally and remotely
Required Education, Experience & Competencies
- Post-secondary education in the field of quantitative analysis (i.e. Data Science, Computer Science, Economics, Engineering, Geography, Mathematics, etc.)
- Experience writing SQL queries for SQL Server or Postgres
- Experience cleaning and manipulating data with either Python or R Experience creating dynamic data visualizations (i.e. Plotly, R Shiny, Tableau, etc.)
- Experience developing and delivering presentations using a range of software tools (i.e. Microsoft PowerPoint, Google Presentations, Prezi, etc.)
- Experience in earth sciences, geoscience, hydroinformatics is an asset
- Experience working with ESRI and/or opensource geospatial technology stacks is an asset
- Experience with scalable data science and high performance computing in the cloud is an asset
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Flexible and self-motivated
BGC offers a wide range of benefits and perks:
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Flexible hours
- Parental leave top-ups
- Social activities
- Professional development opportunities
- Mentoring opportunities
- Flat management structure
- Ability to work with fantastic teams and industry leaders
- Casual and professional work environment
BGC has offices in the following locations:
- Canada - Vancouver, Victoria, Kamloops, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, Kingston, Fredericton, Halifax
- USA - Golden (Colorado)
BGC is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
If you are qualified and interested in a career with BGC, please send your resume and a cover letter in confidence to email@example.com.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the HR Team at 604-684-5900.