Health and Safety Coordinator
BGC is seeking an Intermediate Health and Safety (H&S) Coordinator to work out of our Edmonton, Calgary, Kamloops or Vancouver office. The ideal candidate will provide safety expertise to assist BGC’s goal to be the world leader in applied earth sciences practice by 2025. Reporting to the H&S Manager, the successful candidate will help achieve the H&S objectives of BGC’s goal while living our values of One Team, Excellence, Curiosity, Common Sense, and Clarity. The successful candidate will be expected to work in the office and field with a team of consulting engineers, geoscientists, and technicians.
Candidates shall possess a relevant undergraduate degree, diploma or certificate in occupational health and safety from a post-secondary institute. Well-developed skills in management, planning, relationship building, communication and leadership are essential.
The candidate will be part of a proven team that is dedicated to providing a safe workplace for all employees, and to maintaining regulatory and client compliance. The candidate will be responsible for providing support and guidance in the implementation, maintenance and improvement of the company H&S management system and for the development and implementation of project-specific H&S plans.
- A degree, diploma or certificate in occupational health and safety from a post-secondary institute;
- Minimum 3 to 5 years of related and progressive experience in a dedicated health and safety role;
- Currently registered or eligible for registration as a Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP)
- Certificate of Recognition (COR) internal auditor certified considered an asset but not essential;
- Available for travel and fieldwork, potentially to remote settings;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; and
- Ability to influence and collaborate with field and office staff, contractors, regulators and BGC’s management to improve safety behavior in a respectful manner.
- Communicate the vision and the importance of health and safety practices and policies while assuming an active and visible leadership role in ongoing health and safety and environmental initiatives;
- Update existing and develop new safe work procedures in accordance with regulations and industry standards;
- Provide training and orientation for new and existing employees;
- Administer Contractor Management Program;
- Coordinate activities to support BGC’s Drug and Alcohol Program;
- Maintain WCB/WSIB claims and clearance letters;
- Develop project and site specific hazard assessments and safe work plans with project staff;
- Visit project sites to evaluate safety performance and ensure a safe working environment;
- Investigate incidents, near misses and identified hazards;
- Maintain safety statistics and generate reports and presentations;
- Coordinate BGC’s H&S Committee;
- Plan and participate in corporate, office and project H&S meetings;
- Maintain client compliance programs such as ISNET, Comply Works, and Avetta;
- Additional job duties as required.
Desired Attributes and Knowledge
- A personal belief and commitment to worker safety and protection of the environment;
- In depth knowledge of applicable British Columbia and Alberta Occupational Health and Safety, the Worker Compensation Act, Safety Regulations and adopted codes;
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills;
- Proven ability to establish strong collaborative working relationships in a lead and a team member role;
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills to be able to identify root causes and offer creative solutions;
- Proven communication skills (English) are essential and Spanish language skills would be an asset;
- Field based industry experience (surveying, engineering, construction, drilling) or experience in outdoor activities for work or recreation;
- Experience in the earth sciences industry (geology, geotechnical/geological engineering) is preferred but not essential;
- Willingness to work in domestic and international field locations such as remote camps, on active mine or constructions sites.
BGC pays competitive salaries, provides a comprehensive benefit package, and maintains a casual, yet professional work environment. If you are qualified and interested in a career with BGC, please send your resume and a cover letter, in confidence to: email@example.com.